Wednesday, February 23, 2011

P.O.P. Day 24: Resiliency

If I have learned just one thing in the last year, it is that I am resilient.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.~Louisa May Alcott

I had a huge fear of living alone. Now, I enjoy my own time, my own space, and my own decisions. Instead of consulting on everything, I get to do what I want to do. If I want to get from work, put on my sweats, watch my DVR and eat curry, I can.

As most people know, I have never been a big fan of driving. It makes me nervous...winter driving, even more so. So, what happens this year? I flip my car---twice. I walked away both times with just a few bumps and bruises. I could shut down, refuse to drive again, be chauffeured, but that just isn't practical. I need to drive to live my life.

There was a time that I thought that I would never really be happy again. It was a dark and sad existence. I had allowed myself to be defined by my marriage and had lost touch with two very important things: myself and my friends. To say that I have the most supportive friends in the universe would be an understatement.  All of my friends really came forward to remind me that I am loved. I rediscovered things about myself. I branched into some new things which mean a lot to me. My life is actually richer for the loss. I bounced back, sunnier and more confident than before.

When you are having hard times, remember how strong the human spirit really is. Just when you think that you have taken all that you can, if you look closely enough, you will find that there is a little more in there. Trust me on this one, I speak from personal experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment