Wednesday, February 9, 2011

P.O.P. Day 10: Let Your Freak Flag Fly!

You know what I really like? Me.
You may be thinking, "Well, that's pretty narcissistic." I disagree. I believe that you can't ever really love anyone else unless you love yourself. Many agree, RuPaul, for one. Popeye always said, " I yam what I yam." And if you can't have faith in Popeye, then who can you trust? The theme comes up in literature as well. Shakespeare is the obvious choice, but it doesn't have to be that highbrow.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.--Dr. Seuss

I am sappy. I mean dripping from the trees sappy. Motivational quotations plaster both my house and office. Songs with meaning blare from my Pandora all day and flow from my ipod on every run and workout. And you know what? I am totally okay with that.

I am nerdy. We are talking uber-nerdy. I have introduced myself (on more than one occasion) as Queen of the Geek People. I direct Shakespeare and really enjoy it. When I got Doctor Who gifts for the show/my birthday, I was ecstatic.  I read for fun. I think that educated humor is freakin' hilarious.

I have NO rhythm. None. You may have noticed that the only dance that I do with regularity is the Davy Jones/Axl Rose dance. Why? Because that is the most rhythm that I have mastered.

I can cook. I can also eat. Like a champ. I may be petite and quasi-fit, but I can also eat like a trucker. A huge burger, fries, onion rings, and shake sound like Heaven to me. As much ice cream as I can hold. A steak as big as my head.

I can't sing but that doesn't stop me. I belt out show tunes like Patti LuPone. American Idol's got nothin' on me.

I am a darned good friend. Need someone to clean your basement with you? Shoe shop? Cry over a boy with? Eat? Give you a good gift? Make you laugh? Be a buffer? I am your girl.

I like who I am. I am not ashamed of anything. Liking me helps me to like each of you even more.
Be who you are. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to act differently, look differently, think differently. Revel in yourself and all the things that make you YOU!



"Freak Flag" from Shrek the Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment