Friday, March 4, 2011

P.O.P. Day 33: Managing Expectations

I am about to disappoint several people. I don't like doing it, but this time the reality is that I really can't undertake another huge play after Maccers. It was a huge and heavy show and I need to spend time on something more frivolous. The problem is that I have too many students for the roles that I have available. So, someone will be disappointed. Other than making the audience sit there for 3.5 hours, there isn't another way to create parts. I already feel like the bad guy.


One the other end of the spectrum, I know how they might be feeling. Many times my expectations, both positive and negative, get the best of me. I build things up so much sometimes that no matter what happens, I am disappointed. I am trying to be more mindful of that and manage my expectations more realistically. I want to enjoy the moment and not destroy it by making it something else.

I hope that my students can do the same. Not everyone is going to be the lead. You have to pay you dues. But you all have a chance to shine. Keep working and don't lose heart. It will be your time one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment