Tuesday, March 1, 2011

P.O.P. Day 30: Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

You may not realize this about me, but I am actually a pretty timid person. I teach kids to be confident and speak in front of large crowds, yet hate to it myself. New situations really stress me out. I often jump to the worst possible conclusion. But, at times like this, I think of my friend Suzi. She often says, "Feel the fear and do it anyway!" In other words, don't let me fears about something stand in the way of my potential success.

I have to think of all the things that I might miss out on if I let fear stand in the way. If I hesitated when I was asked to take over the Shakespearean Society, I would have missed working on some fabulous shows and mentoring some wonderful students. If I never picked up a torch or saw because of my fears, my jewelry would have never gone to the next level. If I had not put myself out there, I would never have met a great guy.

Moral of the story: it's okay to be afraid. It's not okay to let that fear paralyze you and rob experiences from you. It's a big world out there. Don't miss it.


No comments:

Post a Comment