Wednesday, April 27, 2011

P.O.P. Day 87: That which does not kill us...

"To be thrown upon one’s own resources is to be cast into the very lap of fortune; for our faculties then undergo a development and display an energy of which they were previosly unsusceptible."
~Benjamin Franklin

To put it another way, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger. Or yet another way, adversity builds strength. Or still another way, problem is just another word for opportunity.

I have a good friend who when faced with the possibility of running in the rain or not running at all, he chooses to run in the rain. He declares that it builds character. And as much as I dislike running in the rain, I have to agree.

This theatre season has been fraught with adversity. Some things have been tiny--miscommunication, different visions. Some have been much larger and complicated. But through all the challenges, the group has come together and overcome all these obstacles. They positive effect on the club and all its members, myself included, is that is has allowed us to develop stronger characters. We are better able to meet these challenges without breaking down completely and come up with workable solutions.

In my "past life", I feel that I may have projected a strong character but not really stood behind it. While I am not fully developed in that area, I feel as though I am much closer.

I hope that my students see that they are not only building characters on-stage, but also in "real life." I am proud of the young men and women that they are becoming and while I don't relish putting them into stressful situations, I am happy to see that they have learned to overcome them.


No comments:

Post a Comment