Friday, May 27, 2011

P.O.P. Day 117: Maintaining Momentum

"She acquires momentum as she advances." ~Virgil

It is one thing to get a project started, to make decision, to move forward. It is another thing entirely to maintain that momentum: to complete that project, to act on the decision to keep moving forward. We might settle for doing something just part way or just enough to get by. Why? This is an opportunity to exceed your own expectations (think of it as your personal report card). Don't get yourself short shrift.

As the long weekend looms, I want to maintain that momentum for myself. I have so many opportunities--I can run, I can weed the garden so painstakingly put in, I can boost my curb appeal, I can experiment with my new cool tools in the studio. I am trying to focus on a few things to keep moving:

  • Setting greater challenges: so I got the veggies planted, my greater goal will be to get the garden weeded and mulched so they can thrive.
  • Review what you've done:  Last night before the rain, I surveyed the kingdom, looked over the planting, wished for seedlings.
  • Re-energize: To prepare for the weekend and the renewed enthusiasm, I have washed all my gardening gloves, registered for a running mechanics class, made several design sketches and read a jewelry magazine.
  • Remind-why am I doing all this?: I love to eat veggies that are crispy and warm from the garden, I love to put up food so I can have it later in the year, I love the feeling of just being able to run, I like the solitude of a good run, I love to make pieces that are unique and fun.
  • Recognize and Reward: I am doing well with my training and I spent a few dollars on a training watch to monitor it. I have planted a beautiful garden and I am going to move my swing to be able to look at it. I have new studio tools and one of the pieces that I make this week will be for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment