Friday, May 20, 2011

P.O.P. Day 110: Slow and steady...


By nature, I am an impatient person. Quick results make me happy. But that is not always the best way to get things done.

We all know the story of the tortoise and the hare. Quick may be fun, but it doesn't always win the race. This story is especially appropriate for me right now. Patience is what is required to even run the race. I registered for the Boilermaker in January on the very night that it opened. I had planned on running it with someone special and we planned on preparing together.

But circumstances change in life, and although that individual is still important to me, the relationship has evolved. With this change, my attention to the Boilermaker slipped. As did my training. I had suffered a running injury in December and spent a long time nurturing myself and frankly, being kinda lazy. The race is now a scant 50 days away. I ran a little over 4 miles on Tuesday, mainly to see if I could. Good news...I can, bad news...still injured. I have altered my training plan to do things the smart way. The slow way. Shorter distances to start. More stretching. Foam rolling. Massage. Strength training.

I will run that race. I will recover. I just can't do either tomorrow. As with my entire life, if I want it, I will have to work for it--break it into manageable pieces, rest when necessary, not expect results overnight--but really work. The race and life will be that much sweeter if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment