Wednesday, May 11, 2011

P.O.P. Day 101: Get started already...


Once I get going on a project, I typically forge ahead and give it my all. The problem is actually getting started. I have a little problem with that. I have grandiose plans but issues with actually starting a project. So, as any internet savvy gal these days, I googled "ways to get motivated". You know what? Even that step helped me feel a little more motivated towards my goal.

Based on a few sites, here are a few pointers to get and (hopefully) stay motivated. The text in green is my goal and how I will be working towards it.

1. Choose a goal. Just being motivated for motivation's sake is not going to do it!
 I will plant and maintain a variety of gardens this year, including perennial, annual, lettuce, herb, and veggie.

2. Get inspiration. Find things that will make you inspired to fulfill your goal.
I am re-reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and looking through The Garden Primer.

3. Get excited! Do things that will get you excited about working towards your goal.
I got out all my gardening tools, started some seeds, bought some bulbs, and am working on a garden plan.

4. Declare your goal. Commit publicly to what you want to do. Put it on Facebook, call your friends, write a blog ;)
I will be planting an working in my gardens from now until the harvest. Just because my former spouse and I used to it together doesn't mean that I have to avoid it!

5. Do something daily. Even just thinking about your goal helps you to work towards it. Taking little bites makes things more manageable.
I have declared and researched, I am slowly raking out beds and will soon begin pulling weeds. Seeds have been started and I am going to the plant sale on Saturday.

6. Get support. Everything is easier with a buddy.
Anytime anyone wants to weed or plant with me, I'll supply the gloves and iced tea!

7. Recognize that motivation comes and goes. You can't be all gung ho all the time. Give yourself some slack if you aren't always on the ball.
Somedays, I may just water plants or read about the garden and that's okay.

8. Stick with it. Anything really worth doing is worth the patience and hard work.
I really like homegrown veggies and bouquets, so any work that I do will come back to me.

9. Start small. Don't think that you have to do everything at once. Do small bits day by day.
The garden will need time to grow but will also need time to get ready. A weed here and a rake there will all add up to pesto, tomato sauce, and grilled veggies later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment