Thursday, May 19, 2011

P.O.P. Day 109: Have to vs. Get to


You know something? We take a lot for granted in our insular little worlds.

I have a chellenge for you. Instead of saying, "I have to make dinner." say "I get to make dinner." Instead of saying, "I have to go to another of my child's concerts." you actually "get to go." We are making our lives a chore. Sometimes things really are, but they don't have to be. Making dinner can be stressful, hurried, and generally a pain. But you GET to make dinner. Some people don't have that opportunity for one reason or another. Maybe they lack funds, equipment, a home, a dining partner, the time. You can take some joy in chosing what to cook, loving using the ingredients, crafting a meal, and enjoying the fruits of your labors.

Use this spring as a chance to transplant some new ideas into your head. I get to run. I get to dig, cultivate, nurture, and grow my own food. I get to make my home a welcoming place. I get to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment