Thursday, August 25, 2011

P.O.P. Day 208: Soothing the Savage


"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." ~William Congreve

Everyone needs to have something in  their life which can lift them up no matter what. It may be a book, a food, a song, a pet, a TV show...the list is endless. What it is doesn't matter as much as having it. For me, I suppose it would be music (and my kids of course, but they aren't around in the summertime.)

I have recently realized how important music is to my life. I enjoy having a soundtrack. And a theme song. My changes regularly to suit my mood, my current circumstances, my newest "favorite song".


Different parts of my life have different soundtracks and themes: my running life, my work life, my romance, my chill out time, my getting my joy on. Some songs cross those lines and inhabit various lists, some are regulated to one purpose. Some songs are musical versions of my motivational wasteland, some just push me to work harder. But rarely is there a time that the appropriate song does not lift me up and brighten my day.

What is it in your life that always brings you joy? A favorite song, a great book, a sappy mantra?



No comments:

Post a Comment