Tuesday, June 7, 2011

P.O.P. Day 128: Didn't Know That I Had It In Me


"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
~Mahatma Gandhi

If you had told me five years ago that one of my favorite things would be training for a race, I probably would have laughed my foolish fat butt off. I was not exactly content with how I looked and felt even a year ago, but I was resigned to it. I come from a large family...maybe I was just meant to be fat and jolly. And then my entire world got flipped upside down a year and a half ago. I spent 6 months in pretty deep mourning. Then I read an article that changed my life, literally.

Prevention magazine printed an article last May entiltled "Yes, You Can Run." I have never been a super-sporty gal, but thought that I would give it a try. My first run was to the end of my street. I was out of breathe and in pain. But, I got out there the next day and tried it again. And the next day. By the end of 2010, I had run four 5Ks and an 8K.

In a little over a month, I will be running The Boilermaker, a world famous 15K road race. Prior to that, I am running three 5Ks with other races through the remainer of the year. By Thanksgiving, I plan to run 10 races. The old Louise would have NEVER imagined that would even be possible, much less highly anticipated.

Morale of the story: we are stronger and capable of much more than we give ourselves credit for. When I get in a funk, I need to remember how much I have done and how much more that I am capable of. If I know all of you, you need to do the same. You are strong. You have skills. You are an inspiration to someone else. You can do so much that you never thought that you could.

Now, go do it.





No comments:

Post a Comment